Zamak 5 (ASTM AC41A) or Zinc Alloy 5, is the most widely used zinc alloy in Europe.
- It has a higher copper content than Zamak 3, which results in higher strength
- It has less ductility (increased elongation) than Zamak 3
- Designers must keep in mind that this reduction in ductility can affect formability during secondary operations such as bending, riveting, swaging, or crimping operations
- Because of the wide availability of Zamak 3, component engineers often strengthen components by design modifications instead of using Zamak 5
- When a measure of tensile performance is needed, Zamak 5 castings are recommended.
- Zamak 5 is more readily plated, finished, and machined than Alloy 3