Magnesium Die Casting
Mg – Magnesium is strong, rigid, fully recyclable yet almost lighter than plastic and with superior shielding properties. It's the ideal alloy for saving weight without sacrificing durability.
Magnesium alloy characteristics:
- The lightest of all structural metals
- Excellent stiffness and strength-to-weight ratio
- Outstanding EMI & RFI shielding properties
- High conductivity, electrical and thermal
- Withstands high operating temperatures
- Cost-effective compared with many engineered thermoplastic materials
- High dimensional accuracy and stability
- Exceptional thin wall capability
- Good environmental corrosion resistance
- Good finishing characteristics
- Full recyclability
Magnesium is the ideal die casting material for applications where weight saving is a priority, having the lowest density of all structural metals. Almost as light in weight as plastic, magnesium has the advantage of greater strength and rigidity along with inherent EMI/RFI shielding, durability, heat-dissipation and full recyclability.
Learn about the specific characteristics of the magnesium alloys using the menu on the left of the screen. There you'll see an explanation of properties and uses as well as tables that show relative strengths compared with other magnesium alloys, properties and composition. Additionally, graphs are available showing behavior at various temperatures and stresses.
Each alloy has its own characteristics - our Material Selector will guide you to choose one suitable one for your application.